FTE Status: Full Time
Location: Calgary, AB / Remote
THRIVE is a global AgriFood venture and innovation platform headquartered in Silicon Valley & with offices in Calgary that accelerates, invests, and works with entrepreneurs, investors and Fortune 500 corporations to advance the future of food and agriculture.
The Accelerator Operations Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of THRIVE’s two Accelerator programs. The primary focus of this position is to drive all programmatic, project management and execution initiatives within the Accelerators. The Accelerator Operations Manager will be directly responsible for helping to drive growth and opportunity for cohort companies through the programs. The Accelerator Operations Manager will report to Managing Director of Global Programs
Duties and Responsibilities
General Accelerator Management:
• Manage recruitment and selection of startups for the annual Accelerator cohorts. This includes working with lead generating organizations, keeping track of applications, managing deal flow, organizing and running pitch day, finalizing selection of the final cohort and working with legal counsel and finance team to complete investment documents and due diligence process. Read more about our Global Program here and our Canadian Program here.
• Manage the implementation and execution of the Accelerator program and curriculum schedule, which will include: Seed Camp, Demo Day, pitch sessions, one-on-one targeted strategy discussions, weekly webinar series with industry experts, and other related activities.
• Support and maintain strong relationships with mentors, advisors, Accelerator partners and other members of the THRIVE network.
• Provide mentorship and guidance to startup cohorts in areas such as business model, client acquisition, go-to-market strategy, financing, fundraising, market research, and operations, etc.
• Work with the events manager on promotional events, collateral and other marketing initiatives for THRIVE (creating relevant resources and materials for workshops and events).
• Cultivate an active alumni network of past participants that compounds over time
• Collaborate closely with the rest of the global programs team to support our THRIVE Academy & Studio programs including identifying Academy graduates who would be good candidates for our THRIVE Canada and THRIVE Global Accelerator programs
• Manage relationships and opportunities with our multiple corporate partners, identifying opportunities for our startups to collaborate, and facilitating partnership discussions.
• Track feedback from startups & stakeholders to consistently iterate & improve the program.
• Manage the recruitment and selection of startups for pitch competitions and challenges.
• Work with Challenge partners to develop scope of the event, logistics, flow, and industry focuses.
• Source and organize panels of judges and develop score sheet and score criteria for selecting winner.
• Work with the finalists on pitch preparation and strategy.
• Execute the Pitch Challenge as host of the event.
Skills and Experience
At least 2-4 years of professional work experience in entrepreneurship, venture capital, program/project management or consulting
• Passion for innovation, entrepreneurship, AgTech / FoodTech / ClimateTech
• Ability to quickly grasp and understand various business models in the agri-food sector, and provide “value-add” advice to the accelerator cohort
• Entrepreneurial drive and experience – bonus points if you’ve been a founder, have operational experience at a startup or are comfortable with Lean Canvas
• Proactive self-starter who isn’t afraid to take initiative and bring the Accelerator programs to new heights
• Demonstrated ability to cultivate, build, and maintain strong working relationships with startup founders, corporate executives, farmers/growers and other individuals – networking should be in your blood
• Strong leadership and proven project management skills (goal-setting, organization, and implementation)
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills – you must be comfortable being on stage and addressing crowds of thousands of people
• Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
• Bachelors degree in agriculture, sustainability, finance, business, economics, entrepreneurship, project management or related field required
• Advanced degree in business, sustainability or agriculture preferred
• Previous experience running an accelerator & ability to host workshops preferred